Thursday 26 July 2012

We welcome you to crackerbox palace...

Great song... Its currently stuck in my head. I have been feeling a little frustrated lately.
I am in essence a bit of a green girl. Before moving here I had a suburban oasis. I had spent many years growing fruit trees around the borders of my property for two reasons... I had a plan with three boys that I could just throw them out in the back yard and they could eat whatever they wanted without sending us broke and secondly because it would be fresh healthy food for all of us. I had four vegetable patches with some of the best dirt in it from years of composting and worm farming and scooped up chicken poop and it grew beautiful veggies for everyone. My children would be out in the garden while I was weeding eating broad beans of the plant of sweet peas .... We had a patch just for strawberries. I had raspberries and passionfruits on the fences blueberries between the large fruit trees. It had reached the point where if I wanted potatoes I would walk out the back and dig them up. The fruit trees had just started producing.... I was really proud of it and myself. I had roses out the front all picked for the colour and small, I had grown pick frangipennies from cuttings, I had a succulent garden ( lots of Aloe for sunburn) out the front too, and a massive herb garden. I had my children trained to put the recycling here... the rubbish here, the worm food here and give that to the chickens. At Christmas time I gave people things I had made from the home grown produce. We never filled our bin. Our recycling bin yes but that was all.







Then we moved.

Where we live has no recycling plant so no recycling bins... It is in the country but has only a Coles.. with old fruit and veggies that don't last the week. It does have a community garden but they don't currently have any plots available I would have to pay for and create my own. This has all left me feeling guilty and sad. SO I have decided to start again. I have an area out the back that can be turned in a veggie patch and can keep chicken safe from hounds. Now all I need to the funds. So it is time to start harassing my husband. And I am going to try and figure out how to petition the council. In this day and age it doesn't get any more backwater than a town without recycling facilities. And they want to be a tourist destination.
Ok well I am off to finalise my market stock for tomorrow and to pray to the rain gods to piss off tomorrow please.

No comments:

Post a Comment