Tuesday 31 July 2012

“You want to remember that while you're judging the book, the book is also judging you.” ― Stephen King

I judge people by there bookcases... or more to the point what is in it ( the lack of a bookcase also gets judged) When I go to someones home I like to look through their bookcase/s and see what appeals to them, if they are members of my family this can actually take quite some time.... majority of them covering most available walls with bookcases. When I had my own house my husband actually made me some built in bookshelves that went from floor to ceiling. I loved them... but they ran out of room far too soon. I have recently had to reduce my book collection down to something more manageable, this is a rather difficult task. Now I mainly just have the ones that I read over and over and over again. I have one series that has ten books ( not including the two prequels) by David Eddings and I am up to my second set of them because the first fell apart... I am looking into getting a third set because these too are starting to lose pages as well as the covers. The pride of my bookshelf is my Harry Potter books. I bought each one when it came out. I read them at least once a year... My hubby doesn't get it. "But you know what happens??" because as a general rule he doesn't "read for fun" He reads for uni or work and only on occasion will he read a biography. I love being nose deep in a good story where the characters come to life and you become involved and affected by what is happening to them.


“When I'm really into a novel, I'm seeing the world differently during that time - not just for the hour or so in the day when I get to read. I'm actually walking around in a haze, spellbound by the book and looking at everything through a different prism.”


Colin Firth
Embarrassingly enough and I am sure to the horror of all the potter heads out there next to Harry Potter ( other than my Fred and George Weasly dolls that are signed) are my set of Twilight novel. Then a full shelf of David Eddings. To stop my Potter and Twilight fighting I have my copy of "Its not easy being green" by Jim Henson and "The wisdom of the Bird" by Caroll Spinney ( for those that don't know he is Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch) "Look before you Leap" by Kermit the Frog and "The Princess Bride" If you get a copy of this book do yourself a favour and don't read the bonus chapter its weird and ruins the book and movie for a little while until you can forget it.
Then we have Sara Douglas... The Troy Game books not the weird Axis ones. The Eragon Series and of course some light reading in Nora Roberts but I must establish that I tend to read her fantasy novels as opposed to the heavily romanced ones. and right next to her is Tolkin cause I like to mix it up :) Raymond Fiest is always enjoyable with a fantastic writing style.. especially The Magician series and all the extensions from it dealing with the same world. And I really enjoyed the Australian author Traci Harding's The Ancient Trilogy... which turned into two trilogies.

The reason I am writing about books is because I have just finished Patricia Briggs' latest novel, I have now read all of her books in these two series and I am suffering from some serious withdrawals. Its the sort where you go I want more!!!! but it only just came out so you know the next one is at least a year away. I have also read all the Sookie Stackhouse novels too and the next isn't due out for a long time either! ( and no I dont watch the show.. I just cant do it her accent annoys me and they dont stick to the story) So now what? what am I supposed to do to avoid to the dishes or the washing?

This is just one of my books shelves, but its my favourite. I also have a non-fiction one. And several extremely large boxes that I havent unpacked yet because I need to buy more bookshelves. ANd if you think thats bad, you should see my childrens bookshelves!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment